Kyle had asked me to marry him on about every one of our dates starting in the summer, but I told him I couldn't take him seriously until he set a date. Of course in the fall, I started planning a wedding and buying bride magazines. I mean, I had known since March that I was going to marry this guy and a 'formal' proposal was just that...a formality! So in January, Kyle and I dropped off the kids with my dad and headed for what was supposed to be Houston. We settled in for our drive and Kyle kept telling me I should take a nap. I tried to sleep, but it just never happened. So after a couple of hours, this sneaky face...
told me that we were headed to Austin!! I was sooo excited! I hadn't been back to Austin and campus since I graduated. I LOVE Austin, I could never live there, but I loved college and everything about that city. So I was excited just to have a weekend alone with my Bear in one of my favorite places! The rest of the drive was me being super excited and quickly planning out our weekend in my head! On our way, we crossed this bridge...
which I have gone across nearly every time I have gone to my grandparents. It is so cool that this old bridge is now tied to two important things in my life! Once we get to Austin and Kyle tells me we are staying at the fabulous new Hilton hotel.
One thing to know about Kyle and I is that the #8 is OUR number! We were both #8 in sports in high school and its just always kind of been our thing. We pull into the parking garage and TADA...
we are in parking spot 008! It's the small things right. We went to our hotel room and changed and headed to campus for Kyle to get the tour. Kyle kept telling me we needed to leave by 5:30 but I didn't really see why it mattered when we left. We parked on the north side across Dean Keeton and walked a-l-l o-v-e-r c-a-m-p-u-s. It was great! I showed Kyle where I lived and what buildings I had classes in and where we had parades and rallies. It was so fun!
Then Kyle became very interested in the East Mall. I didn't get it because unlike the West Mall, the East Mall isn't really a gathering place, but we headed there anyway. Kyle turned and stood in between me and my view of the tower and dropped to one knee. As he started telling me all of the reasons he loved me and the wonderful sweet things that made me want to cry, the lights to the tower came on! This was apparently no coincidence as I found out later, my Boog had called the grounds crew and found out when the lights to the tower come on {it actually has to do with when the sun sets, so it's not really an exact time}. I of course ecstatically said yes! My Red Raider had asked his Longhorn to marry him! It was the most amazing moment. I had on boots and a dress and it was cold, but in that moment, I didn't feel any of it.
Once we were done crying and telling each other how lucky we are and all of that mushiness, we headed to, where else?, the County Line BBQ! Austin is now an even more amazing place...great memories of me and my Bear!!!
And yes he set a date...October 8, 2011. More on that to come :)








No comments:
Post a Comment